Thursday, February 10, 2011

He was eating an APPLE!

So I walk into the house last evening and see The Fiance EATING AN APPLE. I love it. And then when he was finished he said, "That was good." Seriously. This wasn't the first time either. Since I started buying them more and more he finally tried them again, for possibly the first time since he was a child, and realized he LOVES them.

I hear people say it all the time, or maybe I just hear myself say it over and over, "I don't buy CRAP because if I do I'll eat it all!" It's the absolute truth. If there were a box of Cheez-Its or a package of store bought cookies in the pantry, it would be gone in a day, no joke. Sound familiar? So don't buy them! (That's what grandma's house is for! ;)

Maybe everyone doesn't indulge like I do, maybe you can have a cookie a day and walk away...

In any case, if you'd rather your family have healthy snacks, subsequently eat healthier in general, and FEEL BETTER, buy the good stuff! Buy the fruit. Buy the yogurt. Buy the applesauce. Buy the ingredients to whip up a batch of HEALTHIER cookies than are available in your store's processed/chemicalized food isle!

As we've seen in The Case of The Fiance, it can be done with even the unhealthiest eaters at heart.

Accomplished =]

2 comments:

  1. Apples are Absolutely Delicious! At times through my life I've forgotten how delicious and how much energy apples give me, not to mention what a healthier choice they are than say grabbing a Brown Sugar Covered Pop-Tart.. I used to always purchase Golden Delicious Apples, but I think it was just because of the name. I grew tired of them and just quit buying apples all together. I realize now that instead of a snack type of apple, they are best to cook with. I have recently decided to get back into purchasing and indulging in apples and have been exploring Gala Apples. I must admit though that when I am at the market, I become rather confused on which apples are the juiciest and sweetest to eat. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I distinctly remember my family too staring in bewilderment at the apple selection at our local organic market. I am by no means an expert (and actually more of a banana person :) but the rest of the family is definitely in the Apple Camp. When I buy them, I usually go with Gala apples or something similarly sweet like the little Lady apples. My family also thoroughly enjoys Granny Smith apples which are super sweet! I found this simple guide (yes it gets much more complicated and there are so many more varieties, but I believe this should suffice):

    http://homecooking.about.com/od/fruit/a/applevarieties.htm

    Keep up the hunt and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete