Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Can't get your kid off the 'Helper??

I had a dear friend tell me the other day she wished I could put a 'healthy spin' on Hamburger Helper.
My mind lit up like fireworks.

I too used to eat this nasty, nasty stuff. Cringe. Not only did I eat it, I fed it to my child and even served it to guests! Wow. Not proud to say that but there it is. I'm glad I now know better and know there are so many better options:

1) There are healthier boxed meals in the Health Market of your local grocer. (Annie's and Back to Nature are the two that come to the top of my mind.)

2) (and better yet) Make your own!! Grab some whole wheat pasta, a meat of your choice (ground turkey or tuna preferably), add some fresh or frozen veggies and top it all off with a sauce of your choice!

Don't make it too difficult on yourself! It's really just as easy as the box and BETTER! Have fun with your food!

I thought it to be such a chore for the longest time to cook with my daughter because that would take patience, and this mommy does not come by patience naturally. But when I let her pick some ingredients and she gets to help put them together she is much more apt to try the finished product! And it is FUN! We're getting pretty good at it if, I may say so. =]

Still not convinced? Try this on for size, and I'm sure it's not the only of its kind:
Hamburger Helper is Killing Me (and You)

No comments:

Post a Comment