Monday, March 7, 2011

Rant

Every blogger is entitled to go on a bit of a rampage from time to time. Right? I promise this is not what will feed these pages for posts to come, but I also have promised to let you know what is on my mind throughout this healthy lifestyle journey of mine. And this is it for now:

It bothers me when people take for granted or utterly do not recognize the hard-work individuals put forth to live by the healthiest means possible.

For instance:
I am what I am because I choose to be so. You are what you eat right? It's a glorious cycle. I'm healthy and appear to be so because of how I treat my body. I make healthy choices and therefore I am healthy. I wasn't just born a health-nut. To most peoples' amazement, I work hard for my own and my families health.

I wake up every morning at 6:30 (give or take a couple days) and work out or run. I eat several small meals a day (no meat, healthy whole grains, fruits, veggies, and sweets-yes we all get treats if we work for them. Oh and I virtually exclusively drink water and skim milk). And low and behold! My family has the same diet because The One who shops makes the menu.

What if I didn't do this? What if I woke up (at noon), had a pot of coffee, fast food for lunch and dinner, did nothing productive all day, and then topped it all off with a long night of drinking and no quality sleep -- only to be followed up OF COURSE with complaining about looking like crap and feeling worse than crap? Would I have the energy to work out? Would my skin be clear? Would I have a slender figure? Would I want to eat healthy meals? WOULD I HAVE THE DESIRE TO OBTAIN ANY OF THIS? No. (trust me, I know, I've tried it that way. All of the above is me in a different, previous life of sorts :) This is how it works:

You train your mind and body to crave the health and you get the Healthy Thoughts. It doesn't come naturally to any of us that I'm aware of, but we FAKE IT UNTIL WE MAKE IT-as The Wise have told me. You just go through the motions and low and behold it happens. The Healthy Thoughts, Healthy Choices and Healthy Mind and Body follow.

Remember: Some of what we get is God-given but MOST of it we work for.

Now, NO FEAR the next post will be full of good information to go feed your families with -- I owe you that much for putting up with this. Stay tuned! =]

4 comments:

  1. You NEED to read a book called the Gabriel Method, its cheapest on amazon. Or I can loan it to you. It will explain exactly why you have to train your thoughts to eat healthy, and before long it will come natural and you will crave healthy and wont think twice about that pastry in the window at the local cafe'

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great advice Kristen! Thank you so much for sharing. And also for reassuring me I'm not the ONLY CRAZY person that thinks this way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the truth this post holds. I look at my healthy lifestyle (eating healthy, exercising) as a lifelong project. I make goals I work towards to keep the interest alive, which isn't that hard because I get a lot of pleasure in feeding my body and my family's bodies good food. Thank you for sharing this blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Amanda, it is a project and lifelong at that. It gets difficult for me at times (yes even the HTHF lady thinks this stuff is difficult) but eating healthy and staying active makes me feel wonderful, and I'll keep coming back for more. Thank you for keeping the blog alive.

    ReplyDelete